Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Former Friends

My first thought is disdain for my former friends. Disdain for how they've done me wrong, disdain for mistakes I may have made, disdain for the fact that they aren't current friends.

But upon further consideration, I would have to say, it's complicated.

No seriously, upon further consideration, having had to have just ended some toxic friendships, there's no feelings of disdain, it's something that I'm grateful for.

A friend would always remind me of the old saying that I'm sure I'll screw up but that basically the message was everyone comes into your life for a reason and that some people only get to stay for a season.

Every relationship I've had has taught me something and the recent friends I had to let go were no different. I'm grateful for them because without them I wouldn't be the person I am today. Sure I've struggled and made mistakes along the way, dealt with heartbreak, etc.

However, I know how cheesy this is going to sound even with every attempt to make it not cheesy but I love who I am today, talents and faults and all, and without former friends, I wouldn't be that person I love so much.

So, hug your current friends and send a positive wish out through the universe to your former ones because you wouldn't be where you are today without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment